Church MembershipBeing a member of a church means that you are devoted to that community: you identify with the vision and mission of this particular expression of the Body of Christ, and you have committed to using your gifts, abilities, time, and resources to help make this vision and mission a reality. This can include things like voting on new staff members and passing a budget, but it should be so much more.
Interested in becoming a member at Northend?
Northend Church is part of the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. You can find more information about ONMB here. The Ontario Conference is part of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Mennonite Brethren churches have a standard that they all agree to and follow called the Confession of Faith. A summary of the confession is as follows:
We believe in God as eternal Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God created and sustains the universe. The eternal purpose of God the Father is to create a people who will bring glory to God forever. God alone is worthy of worship.
We believe that God became human in Jesus Christ. Jesus came to restore the world because humans have rejected God in disobedience. Jesus taught and modeled the way of God’s kingdom. He died on the cross, making it possible for us to accept a renewed relationship with God. He rose from the dead, broke the power of sin and death, and frees us to live in obedience to God’s will.
We believe that God the Holy Spirit invites all people to be reconciled with God and to join the global family of faith. Believers confess their faith, are baptized, and join in the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and guided by the Bible, members of the church seek to live as followers of Christ and invite others to experience this new life.
NORTHEND CHURCH’S VISION, MISSION, & PURPOSE
Northend Church is a brand-new church in a familiar building, located in the northend section of the city of St. Catharines. In the late spring of 2018, the Mennonite Brethren denomination invited Mike and Terrie Sherbino to consider moving to St. Catharines to open a new church. It would be a church where anyone could come, with the vision to raise leaders who would change the world, and be a place where multitudes could experience the love of Jesus.
“Helping People Find and Follow Jesus in St. Catharines and throughout the world.”
“I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6
The Mission of Northend Church is to turn encourage people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ through encountering the transforming power of God’s grace.
Our Mission Explained
The sole basis of our belief is the Bible, which is uniquely God-inspired, without error, and the final authority on all matters on which it bears. As the Bible teaches, there is one God, eternally existing in three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—each possessing all the attributes of Deity.
God created humans to have fellowship with Him, but they defied Him by sinfully going their own way. As a result, we need God’s saving grace to end our alienation from Him. Salvation comes only through God’s saving grace—not human effort—and must be received personally by repentance and faith.
Jesus Christ, second Person of the Trinity, lived a sinless life on earth and voluntarily paid for our sin by dying on the cross as our substitute. This accomplished salvation for all who receive grace by trusting in Him alone. He rose from the dead and is the only mediator between us and God. He will return to earth to consummate history.
The Holy Spirit draws sinners to Christ and equips believers for personal growth and service to the church. The church’s role is to glorify God and serve those in need. At the end, everyone will experience bodily resurrection and the judgment. Those forgiven through Christ will enjoy eternal fellowship with God.
The Purpose for our church is summarized around five key truths that we believe are the essence of what Jesus desires His church to be. They are listed below and will give you some insight into the values we are passionate about:
Going: To create a climate of passionate, praying people who are agents of grace, seeking to bring about spiritual, social and cultural change in our community and world.
Growing: To equip our people so that they will stand firm in their faith.
Gathering: To be a church that models what “family” is all about, as believers share their life together while serving others.
Glorifying: To encourage a passion in our people to worship the Lord.
Giving: To teach and encourage the truth that we are responsible for wisely investing all that has been entrusted to us.
When we think of the church, various words come to mind: family, friends, laughter, tears, encouragement, hope, dynamic praise, love, acceptance, forgiveness, eternal life and most of all—Jesus. Our dream for Northend Church is that we will be a family that welcomes hurting people, people who have lost their dream, people who need a home, people who need to know Jesus and His amazing grace. We want to see lived out in our midst the mission of Jesus when He said that He had come to preach Good News to the poor, freedom for the prisoners, recovery of sight for the blind, release for the oppressed and proclaim that this is the time to know God’s favour in life. We see this dream reaching out to St. Catharines, our community, and into our world.
Our Core Values
Our Core Values are the non-negotiable, unchanging life principles that shape us, guide us, and protect us. All of the following statements are of equal value:
1. We are a Christ-centred, Spirit-filled church. Recognizing the empowering presence of God, which is the Holy Spirit. Unless the Lord builds the house, we labour in vain. What people need and want is the presence of God.
2. We believe in prayer. Prayer for one another, for the families of our church, for our ministries, and for the world around us.
3. We are Bible-based. The Bible is God’s Word and is our source of belief and guide for living.
4. We practice meaningful community. Real change in peoples’ lives happens when they live out the Word of God in significant, accountable, and forgiving relationships. We value the uniqueness, abilities, skills and Spiritual giftedness of every person, regardless of ethnicity, gender, or social class.
5. We empower team ministry. We believe in participative leadership on every level of the ministry. We recognize the need for a clearly identified leader and every leader must be committed to working with a team. We value the uniqueness of every person, including ethnic and gender diversity in leadership and ministry.
6. We strive to make the scriptures relevant. We commit ourselves to creatively communicating and living out the unchanging truth of the Bible in ways that are culturally relevant and meaningful for people today, without compromising our message yet doing everything God has called us to do with excellence.
7. We are intentionally missional. We commit ourselves to living out the Gospel locally and globally, resulting in the transformation of individuals and societies.
If you are interested in pursuing church membership, we ask that you fill out the form below and we will be in contact with you with the next steps!